Friday, May 03, 2013

281) Hummingbirds



In my yard sits a big prickly pear cactus that has overgrown the wall meant to hold it in.  Last year I pruned large overgrown sections and scattered them around my yard.  A few of them survived and have even put out a few flowers this year.  The mother plant has put out more than just a few flowers.  If I don't keep up with my hummingbird feeders, the birds will resort to the nearby flowers- none more prolific than the big prickly pear.







 Most cactus flowers are very ephemeral.  In the previous days of the big cactus' bloom, flowers would last only one day, turning slightly orange towards the end of the day.  But today, some of the blooms from yesterday opened back up and went from orange to red.  I've never seen such a beautiful variety of color on a prickly pear.  (You can see some of the photos (from previous days) have only yellow flowers, that is normal.  The multicolored blooms are from today).















The hummingbirds that live in this area are Costa's Hummingbirds.  As far as I have been able to tell, most of these photos are of the same bird, the king of the cactus.  These little guys are extremely territorial, and the king of the cactus will chase away any other hummers that even come close to his cactus.  There was a brief period about two weeks ago when I saw a few males with brilliant purple around their heads, but that seems to be all gone now.










The other day I was up real early because I couldn't sleep.  The hummers were up by the time it just started getting light.  These last three shots are from right as the sun was coming up.  




7 comments:

Mumbles said...

I'm exactly the same--I will stake out our "hummybird" feeder and take picture after picture, NONE as lovely as yours! In Utah, we couldn't get them to come to our yard, but now we're in Virginia, we get the Ruby Throated Hummers. Last year, we only got the females--I guess we were too late putting the feeder out. But this year? This year, we have males, with their bright ruby throats!

Yes, I get very excited about this!

Your pictures are breathtaking. I really enjoyed looking and reading!

Kris

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Amazing photos! How did u capture that?



www.aposluchaj.blogspot.com

greer / eggstudio said...

Just stumbled on your blog and your Photos are gorgeous.

smile.smile said...

Very Nice

Yi-Jiun Lin said...

Nice and relaxing photos!

Mom01 said...

One photo is more beautiful than the next! Amazing pictures!